[GEMPAK #VTP-245146]: Bus error with binary darwin nmap2 - 5.9.2.

> I recently downloaded the 5.9.2 version of GEMPAK for darwin.  I'm
> running on Mac OS 10.4.6.
>
> When I start nwx, nsharp, or nfax . . . the applications come up
> fine, and I am able to display data.  When I attempt to bring up
> nmap2, though, I get the following:
>
> $ nmap2
> Finished reading tables...
> Resource File:  /usr/local/GEMPAK5.9.2/resource/Nmap
> Warning: Cannot convert string "0       " to type VerticalPosition
> Warning: Cannot convert string "0 " to type VerticalPosition
> Warning: Cannot convert string "0 " to type VerticalPosition
> Bus error
>
> And it promptly crashes.  Any thoughts?  If I switch back to 5.9.1,
> it runs fine.  I'd stick with 5.9.1, but I receive ORAD L2 data, and
> the 5.9.1 won't display it.
>
> Stonie

Stonie,

Those warning message have occured for me in past releases as well as this one.
The difference is that this binary was linked against the Xorg X11 libraries
(on a workstation),
where before the system was configured with the XFree86 version (on a laptop).

We are looking into both fink as well as darwinports for a compatible set of
compilers and libraries. The Darwin envirionment is not very turnkey at the
moment,
but the binaries are runable on both machines here, both of which report from
"uname -a"
Darwin Kernel Version 8.6.0: Tue Mar  7 16:58:48 PST 2006

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: VTP-245146
Department: Support GEMPAK