20060323: Radar Level II question

David,

NCDC has compressed the individual files within the tarfile
(each file has a .Z extension).

You have to use the uncompress command on the file. At that point, the
first 9 bytes should be "ARCHIVE2.", eg:
%od -c KOKX_20011230_0959 | head -1
0000000   A   R   C   H   I   V   E   2   .   3   8   4  \0  \0   ,   :

With your file naming as shown below, gpnexr2 will be able to obtain the
site id from the file name which is required in pre build 5.0 files
that lacked the station ID or location within the data.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport