[Support #DML-648002]: Importing ascii surface & upper air data into GEMPAK

>Hi Steve,
>
>Sorry to bother you again but I am afraid that I deleted the email with the
>attached scripts
>for the ascii-gempak conversion. Would you mind sending that again?

I sent this a few minutes ago from the support archives.

>Also, we have sounding data in Excel spreadsheets as well (attached example).
>How would sounding data be dealt with in the conversion process? The example
>that is
>on the website (for aircraft data) looks like the appropriate step except
>that it describes the generation of a surface file. Gempak differentiates among
>surface and sounding.

The web example does show a surface file for SFEDIT. A similar process could be
used to create an
upperair file for SNEDIT following the SNLIST format.

The email you sent did not have a spreadsheet attachment, however, if it has
the raw TTAA type
of WMO upper air bulletins, you can wrap them with the AFOS style bulletin
delimeters as I did
for the surface files and then decode using dcuair as examples in the support
archives show:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/support/help/MailArchives/gempak/msg03796.html

Steve Chiswell
Unidat User Support