[GEMPAK #SWV-808742]: GEMPAK Question

>Is there a GEMPAK program that will compute a vertically integrated
>quantity? I want to display
>vertically integrated moisture in some way and I am working with model
>output already in GEMPAK format.

James,

A general set of LYR_ functions is being developed (as you will
find in the GFUNC online help). At present, the only function
in 5.9.1 is:
LYR_SWTM ( input_arg1 | levels ): Computes the weighted mean of a
                                  scalar field.

The NCEP developers are in the process of adding capabilities for ENS_ and LYR_
functions. in the next several releases- but very limited at present.

>Also, is there any support for helping me (us) convert MM5 model output to
>GEMPAK format? We have been
>unsuccessful in attempting this and I am wondering if there is something
>similar to 'MM5 to Grads' for GEMPAK?

I have seen many users over the years using MM5 outoput in GEMPAK, so
this is something you might find addressed by the MM5 user group; however,
a google search for mm5togem returns:
ftp://ftp.atmos.washington.edu/ovens/

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support