[Support #UAL-239105]: Help viewing SSEC archived satellite data in garp

>Did we ever find anything out about displaying archived McIDAS imagery in
>garp/gempak? I have a new case I need to view imagery for and I need
>something that "just works". Should I request the data from SSEC in a
>different format (e.g. 8-bit) to make it work? Should I contact them
>directly?

Art,

You obtained the multiband images from SSEC, rather than the online archive
of the images distributed in the UNIWISC idd feed, which is why they aren't the
same as those which you see in realtime.

The way to convert the multiband images into single band images is through
the McIDAS IMGCPY command. This would also allow you to apply an image
calibration, convert from the oversampled horizontal image width,
and convert from 2byte to 1byte imagery (if desired).

Tom said he could convert some images for you if you didn't have a mcidas user
at PSU, though in the long run, if you will have a recurring need that isn't
an efficient solution.

I could write a utility to simply dump the multi-banded images into seperate
area files following the ssec area file manual:
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/prog_man/2003/access-2.html#19425
though that would be a straight dump and wouldn't be a general
McIDAS solution for the calibration, and oversampling that imgcpy would
accomplish. If you want to go that route, send me one of your IR 4 band
images.....

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: UAL-239105