[GEMPAK #QXI-251578]: GEMPAK mapfil that contains mexican states

Hi Greg,

As you know, Chiz is on travel at the moment, and he is not able to attend to
the
GEMPAK inquiries.  But, I will give this one a shot :-)

> I'm having trouble finding  the right mapfil to use with sfmap that
> would show all the Mexican states. Can you point me to the proper file?

I looked through the binary map files included with the GEMPAK distribution,
and see some that might be what you are looking for:

tpstmx.nws
mestmx.nws
lostmx.nws
histmx.nws

The naming scheme for GEMPAK mapfiles is laid out in the file:

~gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/maps/ascii/mapfiles.doc.  The first pair of characters
in the file name define a resolution; the second pair features; the third
region, and the suffix contains the source:

Resolutions:  ToP, HIgh, MEdium, LOw, MiXed
Features:     STate
Region:       MeXico (I am assuming)
Source:       .nws -> National Weather Service

So, I interpret the above names to represent:

tpstmx.nws - top resolution states of Mexico from the NWS
mestmx.nws - medium resolution states of Mexico from the NWS
lostmx.nws - low resolution states of Mexico from the NWS
histmx.nws - high resolution states of Mexico from the NWS

Now, how you use this in GEMPAK's sfmap, I can't say, but I am sure the
program help can guide you.

> Here's my question: Can I import the map files from McIDAS
> (which I know does have mexican states) into GEMPAK somehow?

I don't think that there are any GEMPAK programs that would do this; I know
that there are no programs in McIDAS. The fact is that I routinely import
GEMPAK map files into McIDAS using MAKEMAP.  MAKEMAP can use the ASCII map
files that are included in the GEMPAK distribution in
~gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/maps/ascii

> If not, would you have any other suggestions?

Please let us know if any of the *mx.nws map files is what you were looking
for.  If not, Jeff Weber and I will get together to discuss this (he knows
a LOT more about GEMPAK than I do).

> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: QXI-251578