Re: bugs in gdprof and gdpoint

Hello,

I have been asked by another one of our group to follow up on this bug
report.  Have you been able to verify these errors?  Have these been
passed on to be worked on by anyone?  Is there any timeline
established for when they might be fixed?

I realize that my original emails may not have stated the errors very
well.  In summary, wind direction calculations (and simple math
functions involving 2 wind components) at interpolated grid
points in gdprof and gdpoint are WRONG.  The reason is that wind
directions (and math involving 2 wind components) are calculated at
gridpoints first and are then interpolated without regard to vector
componets (see original email below for examples of the erroneous
output).  The correct way to do the calculation is to interpolate
components and then do the all math on the interpolated values.
Though one could argue against this approach for something like
  GFUNC = MUL(urel,urel)

you really cannot take the other approach for
  GFUNC = dirr(wnd)
  GFUNC = dirr(vecr(urel,vrel))

I have only made a quick, single point check in gdthgt and have not
tried gdtser.  The bug may exist in those as well.

Thanks for any info,

David