20051129: LDM 6.4.3 pipe_prodput, pbuf_flush, pipe_put errors (cont.)

>From: Mark Seefeldt <address@hidden>

Hi Mark,

re:
>All indications are that the timeout fix likely takes care of the
>problem.  There were not any errors listed for dcwstm for yesterday
>after the change at 1845 UTC.  Today, the same error did resurface again
>at 14:58 UTC.  That is one occurrence compared to 21 times the error was
>indicated yesterday, although the advisories/watches/warnings were
>probably more active yesterday.

Very good.  You may want to add/increase the timeout (use '-t' flag) on
the other GEMPAK decoders that are showing up ldmd.log 'pipe_put' error
messages.

While we were on your system we noticed that you had redundant
requests for data from the same upstream site:

request WMO ".*" rainbow.al.noaa.gov
request    IDS|DDPLUS    ".*"    rainbow.al.noaa.gov
request    HDS    "/mNAM_84"    rainbow.al.noaa.gov
request    HDS    "/mRUC"    rainbow.al.noaa.gov

'WMO' is a mnemonic for two distinct datastreams:

WMO == IDS|DDPLUS|HDS

(IDS|DDPLUS is actually one stream)

Your request for 'WMO' data from rainbow.al.noaa.gov will get you
all products in the IDS|DDPLUS and HDS datastreams.  If you want to
receive only the 'NAM_84' and 'RUC' products from HDS, you should
comment out your request line for 'WMO' and then restart your LDM.

>Unidata Support wrote:
>>> From: Mark Seefeldt <address@hidden>
>>
>> Chiz and I logged onto foehn this morning and looked at the ldmd.log
>> pipe_put errors you are getting.  Chiz commented that some of the
>> decoders are most likely timing out due to lack of new data and
>> exiting.
>>
>> The pqact.gempak entries for processing are sending all of a certain
>> type of product to the decoder using a PIPE action that does not
>> close.  What is going on is that the next time that pqact has a product
>> to send to the decoder, the decoder has exited so the pipe write
>> fails.  pqact then retries the same action (it will always retry once
>> for each failed invocatino) and a new invocation of the decoder is
>> started, and it succeeds.
>>
>> To test the assertion that the GEMPAK decoders are timing out and
>> exiting, Chiz added a timeout of 7200 seconds for dcwstm at about 18:45
>> UTC today (Monday, NOvember 28).  If the timeout assertion is correct
>> you will not see any more errors from dcwstm while weather rolls across
>> the country.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom
>> --

>From address@hidden  Tue Nov 29 18:07:24 2005

I forgot to include a comment on this.

Yeah, this duplication took me a few months to figure out.  I kept
wondering why I was getting all of the model runs, when I had only
specified NAM_84 and RUC.  I think looking through the feed types last
month I made the connection.  Now that I have been receiving the data I
am re-determining what I want to keep.

Thanks for point it out to me.

Mark