20051123: LDM 6.4.3 pipe_prodput, pbuf_flush, pipe_put errors (cont.)

>From: Mark Seefeldt <address@hidden>

Hi Mark,

re: your OS is not AIX
>Correct, it is a RedHat Enterprise Linux v4.

Chiz and I logged onto foehn this morning and looked at the ldmd.log
pipe_put errors you are getting.  Chiz commented that some of the
decoders are most likely timing out due to lack of new data and
exiting.

The pqact.gempak entries for processing are sending all of a certain
type of product to the decoder using a PIPE action that does not
close.  What is going on is that the next time that pqact has a product
to send to the decoder, the decoder has exited so the pipe write
fails.  pqact then retries the same action (it will always retry once
for each failed invocatino) and a new invocation of the decoder is
started, and it succeeds.

To test the assertion that the GEMPAK decoders are timing out and
exiting, Chiz added a timeout of 7200 seconds for dcwstm at about 18:45
UTC today (Monday, NOvember 28).  If the timeout assertion is correct
you will not see any more errors from dcwstm while weather rolls across
the country.