20050920: 20050919: NWX Map

Giovanni,

You can have area of NWX start up with South America or Brazil etc
by editing:

$GEMTBL/nwx/mapinfo.nwx

and adding GAREA entries such as

!NAME        GAREA
!( < 40 )   ( < 80 )
BRAZIL       BZ
SOUTH_AMERICA SAM

The GAREA entries can use names from $GEMTBL/stns/geog.tbl such as BZ and SAM.

The default map used by NWX is defined at compile time in
$GEMPAK/source/programs/gui/nwx/nwx.c
in the line:
char              mapfil[9]="$MAPFIL=";

The default map file wll be hipowo.cia unless $MAPFIL is given a value.
You could for instance use:

char            mapfil[]="$MAPFIL=histbr.uni+hipowo.cia";

That would use the Brazillian states and the world map.
Note that this requres recompiling nwx. Also, you may want to modify the
draw.c draw_map() routine to have the string for "map" (line 74) reflect
using multiple maps using different color/lines.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support