20050812: GEMPAK 5.8.3a upgrade

>From: Giovanni Dolif Neto <address@hidden>

Hi Giovanni,

re:
>Your upgrade instructions to upgrade my LDM release worked perfectly!

I always am pleased when things work smoothly :-)

>Next step is to upgrade my GEMPAK release from 5.8.2a to 5.8.3a .
>One of the most interesting tools in this new GEMPAK release is the capability
>of export GIF files.
>Could you help me to upgrade it? (Question: Are these upgrade procedures on
>the Unidata web site?)

Upgrading GEMPAK is _very_ easy:

1) logon to the Unidata website
2) download the current GEMPAK binary distribution to the HOME directory
   of your GEMPAK user ('gempak') (make sure to get the correct binary)
3) upack the distribution
4) change the NAWIPS runtime link to point at the new distribution
5) create the GEMPAK-specific pqact.conf files for the LDM by running
   the script noted in the 'Site Configuration for Products' link
   in the GEMPAK HomePage:

GEMPAK HomePage
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/index.html
  Site Configuration for Products

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/GEMPAK5.8/configuration.html

   We recommend to _not_ produce a single, combined pqact.conf file.

6) incorporate the pqact.conf files into your LDM setup (~ldm/etc)
7) edit the LDM ldmd.conf file to incorporate additions that were
   recommended by the script
8) copy the latest GEMPAK decoders to the ~ldm/decoders directory
9) stop and restart the LDM:

ldmadmin restart

That should be all that is necessary _IF_ your current GEMPAK installation
was done correctly (if it was, you can skip steps like making a Gemenviron
link in the HOME directory of 'gempak', for instance).

And, yes, this is all documented in the GEMPAK web pages.