20050718: Gempak - gdbiint

Bob,

I checked the 5.8.2a distribution and both gdcfil and gdbiint were in the linux
binary.

The changes in GEMPAK since 5.8.1 now allow GEMPAK to do computations
on grids with differing navigations, so at some point, the need to interpolate
grids may not be necessary. That aside, there shouldn't be anything in the
5.8.3 grid files that prevents reading with your 5.7.3, unless they have
increased their
maximum grid size to larger than what you have. I've always tried to keep the
Unidata
release ahead of the NCEP version for that reason - our LLMXGD has been 400,000
for several
years, and NCEP's is 275,000.

I have a preliminary Linux binary of 5.8.3a ready for our workshops next week
that
you can download...but the LLMXGD is the same as it has been. If you want to
send me any grid file from SPC, or some more information about whether gdbiint
is finding the
grid in the source file, and not writing the output, or failing before then etc,
I'd be happy to look int this more. Since you indicate that you had been
sucessful
with previous grids from SPC with that same 5.7.3 binary you have, I was
leaning to wondering if SPC in particular has redefined their maximum grid size
(I know that AWC produces some 1.6 million point grids!).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support