20050711: Scripting ATCF models

Robert,

The datatype.tbl entry you have uses the SPDATA environmental variable, which
probably isn't defined (I define SPDATA in Gemenviron as $GEMDATA, though the
historical use of SPDATA comes from NCEP's users which is why it is
that in the datatype.tbl file). You can change this to $GEMDATA/atcf if your
GEMDATA is defined as /data/ldm/gempak/ below, or add the SPDATA variable
declaration to your Gemenviron file.

I use wget to mirror the ftp directory
ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/pub/atcf/aid_public/
which you show below, so that only newer files are downloaded when they are
available:

#!/bin/csh -f

setenv PATH /opt/bin:${PATH}
source ~gempak/Gemenviron

cd $SPDATA/atcf
wget -N 'ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/pub/atcf/aid_public/a*2005.dat'

The plotting script uses the ATCF parameter in GPMAP

gpmap_gf << EOF
   restore tropics.nts
   SATFIL = \$SATDIR/${SAT_IMG}
   LUTFIL = $lutfil
   DEV = gf|tropics.gif|1000;800
   GAREA = 17.5;-95.1;34.6;-59.6

EOF

In the above, a csh script determines which SAT_IMG to use
(vis or IR depending on time, and sets $lutfil accordingly. Select a
GAREA of your interest depending on the satfil region. I'm using the
EAST-CONUS images from the NIMAGE feed for the gulf coast.
My tropics.nts looks like:

MAP     32/1/3
GAREA   15.5;-104.8;42.2;-60.8
PROJ    SAT