20050524: 20050519: Gempak - adding surface parameters

Thomas,

You do not have to use the metar packing file to create your surface data set.
Whatever you are using to decode/create a gempak file from your data set
can define any quantity as a 4 leter variable name, such as
FXSH and FXLH and store those in the data file. If you are using
SFCFIL to create your gempak file, you can provide the parameter names
in SFPRMF or create you own packing file.

The limit to the number of parameters that can be stored in a GEMPAK file is
defined
by the MMPARM variable, and is set to 40 when built by default.

Once you have FXSH and FXLH in your gempak surface file, you can plot them with
sfgram.

If you are merging data from other data sources, you would create your surface
file with
sfcfil to include all parameters you are using from both files, and then use
sfmod to copy
data from your data sets into the new data file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support