20050512: radar enhancement for composite imagery

Kevin,

The range is -30 to 75 in the composite since both clear air and
precipitation mode are in the same product, whereas the 0 to 75
you refer to is a precipitation mode only.

There are default tables defined in $GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl
for the RADAR mosaics, and these will be used when LUTFIL=default.
Always make sure you set LUTFIL in your programs, otherwise you
get any lut that has already been preloaded,

For N0R, the table is upc_rad24.tbl, note the use of 24 colors instead
of 16 for just the reson you state in extending the data range
to both clear air and precip while maintaining the 16 colors used
in the precipitation range of the 0 to 75 dbz nids product.
(Note that -30dbz to 75 dbz is mapped to pixel values of 0 to 105
as used in the imgtype.tbl file.)

Also note, you should specify the GINI image in "SATFIL" and use
PROJ=sat to display the image, since the satellite color partition
defaults to 95 colors, while the radar color partition defaults
to 20 colors (and 20 colors isn't enough for upc_rad24.tbl right?).

In nmap2, you can use the "SAT" image type to select your data set which
is generally $SAT/NEXRCOMP/1km/n0r/n0r_yyyymmdd_hhnn in the
pattern actions I provide (another Gotcha...don't call the directory
"rad" as that will tell nmap2 to use the radar color partition!).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support