20050419: gempak coastline files

David,

The standard map file for plotting political boundaries, including islands etc.
is the default $GEMMAPS/hipowo.cia file. There are quadrantr versions of this
file available
in $GEMMAPS as well.

The binary I provide is compiled using Fedora Core 3, so the runtime libraries
should be available if you have to obtain them elsewhere and if you don't want
them
installed on your system, you could place them in $GEMLIB and set your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to them.

At any rate, the GEMPAK map files are binary, but there are ascii versions
available,
and/or can be generated from the $GEMMAPS/programs/gsfssf program. I don't
package the
ascii files with the distribution, but could send you that if you wanted the
ascii.
I'm not sure what you actually need.

If you need to build GEMPAK on your system to be compatible with your existing
libraries, you would need to have the Motif runtime and developers packages
as well as gcc/g77 and X11R6.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support