20050324: Creating overlay for a *gif map

Nancy,

The process works similar to an interactive session. The output file is
only created after GPEND is run. You can run SFMAP multiple time,
as well as other GEMPAK programs to create the overlays (with CLEAR=NO).
When the plot is complete, then run GPEND. You don't need to change
DEVICE in between displays.

For example, your script might look like:

#!/bin/csh -f
sfmap << SFMAP_EOF
   <general_param_settings>
   SFFILE=metar
   CLEAR=y
   DEV=gf|surfacemap.gif|900;700

   CLEAR=no
   SFFILE=mesonet

SFMAP_EOF

# Other programs for overlay....such as gdcntr, gpmap etc can be
# run here followed by gpend. Output file isn't created until gpend.

gpend

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support