20041207: GFS resolutions for CONDUIT f000-f084

Kevin,

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 11:09, Kevin R. Tyle wrote:
> To clarify, will we continue to get 1-degree fields for hours
> 0 through 84?  Or will it be 0.5 only for 0-84, then 1 degree,
> and then 2.5 for week 2?

The 1 degree will continue for F000 through f180 hours at the present
time. Currently the top T254 resolution of GFS only extends through 84
hours, so that is the extent to which NWS is producing the .5 degree
grids. If/when the GFS increases resolution in Q3 2005, the
.5 degree grids may be available through 180 hours.

Since the .5 degree grids introduce a new format for many users,
I've cautioned to keep the GRIB1 1 degree grids on CONDUIT for f000-f084
for the time being, unless the recipients of CONDUIT indicate the added
volume is a problem. Discussion on this topic is certainly useful.

> Keeping 1-degree would be nice if only to avoid the need to use
> three different GEMPAK grids.  Is there a quick way to "degrade"
> resolution so the .5 degree fields could be written to a 1-degree file?

At present, dcgrib2 decodes and stores the full resolution. The ndfdg2
program in GEMPAK does provide a GSKIP factor for the NDFD grids to
decimate the resolution, which I plan on implementing in dcgrib2 for the
next release.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support