20041026: Gempak - Sample Grid plots in GDPLOT

Matthew,

Gdplot is being replaced by GDPLOT2, so I suggest you start there
for ease of transition.

Also, there is a wealth of GDPLOT2 examples in the $NMAP_RESTORE directory
which are used by NMAP2 in the various grid displays (eg the products
indexed by $GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl).

For example, for temperature advection, you would be using the function
ADV(S,V)

where S in the above is the scalar quantity (temperature), and V is
the vector (wind field) such as WND, GEO, AGE, THRM(), etc.

In gdplot2, advection of temperature C by the observed wind would be:
GDPFUN = adv(tmpc,wnd)

to plot this using line countours, specify
TYPE=c

If you don't know the values of your quantities ahead of time, then set
CINT=0
SCALE=999    (or SCALE= )

the above will scale the data appropriately and provide a default contour
interval.
Once you know the range of data values, you can set SCALE and CINT
appropriately.

Looking at mod_res.tbl, you can see some some of the fields you list below
are restore files provided in $NMAP_RESTORE, such as:
$NMAP_RESTORE/modl/eta/300-700_q-vctrs_thkn
which displays 300-700mb qvectors and thickness.

Other example scripts are found in $NAWIPS/scripts/ex and can be
used as a starting point. Note that gdplot2 encompasses all
the capabilities of gdcntr, gdwind, gdstream and gdmap (see phelp type
for information on plotting the various types of data displays).

In the online tutorial, GDPLOT2 is shown in use at:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/tutorial/gridprog_exercises3.html

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support