20040827: Gempak - radmap/nex2img questions

Dana,

The radmap program requies an X server using the "gf" driver, whereas
the radmap_sw uses the software rendering "gif" driver. If you
want to use the radmap program without an X server, you need to use radmap_sw.

The GSDEVA -83 error ($GEMERR/gemplt.err) means that the X server
was not able to be contacted (either the DISPLAY variable was not
set, or the server denied connection the user/cron running the program).

I didn't get any attatchment for your radmap_sw error.

The colors, tables, maps in radmap are hardcoded so that
the program does not spend time loading the GEMPAK environment
(which is what the developers of that program wanted for fast startup).
For more control, using gpmap or similar program gives better flexibility.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport