20040602: GEMPAK souding files

Jose,

The error you are getting is generated because the header of the file
is either damaged, or incorrect for some reason.

When a program attempts to open a file, it reads the file header
information through data management library routines to learn
about what is in the data set. In the file you provided,
the information in the header has values which GEMPAK recognizes are
bad values, and therefore exits with the FL -4 message.

Some possibilities, are:
1) if you transfered the file by ftp, you did not do so in binary mode
   This is very common if you forget to type "bin" in the ftp session.
2) multiple programs tried to write to the same file simultaneously
   which is mostly likely for ealtime data if something gets fouled up
   by a decoder.
3) The data which was put into the file exceeded realistic
   sizes.

Did you create the data file, or obtain it elsewhere? Can you retrieve
the original data or redownload the file?

Any information you can provide can help determine where your file got
corrupted.

Also, you sent this message incorrectly to someone else at unidata who
forwarded it to me. Please direct messages to
address@hidden
or
address@hidden

Steve Chiswell