20040510: 20040506: Gemapk dcgrib cores

Adam,

The core dumps are definitely a problem and need to be resolved.
Possibly being caused by either not finding the correct tables, or
a corrupted grid file if your pqact is falling behind.
One way to check if pqact is falling behind is to issue 2
"kill -USR2 pid" commands where pid is the process ID of the pqact
in question. After issuing the kills, the pqact process will
be in debug mode. Looking at the ldmd.log file will
show "Delay" messages about the time between when the
product was received and when it was processed by
pqact. If this islarger than a few seconds, then
you probably have to split up your pqact processing
to multiple independent invocations in your ldmd.conf
file (for example the split pqact.gempak_xxxxx files
from the gen_pqact.cshscript in $NAWIPS/ldm/etc).

The messages about grid too large will occur with an icing
product from AWC which requires 1,679,940 points
where the default build has a maximum of 750,000, so that
is a correct log message.

A message of "bulletin too long" also signifies a correct behavior
by the decoder in detecting a product that is missing the end sequence
in the proper location.

The messages about "no file template" and "table grib3.tbl not found"
both signify that the cntrgrib1.tbl and gribkey.tbl files in
$GEMTBL/grid are not correctly being found/read, or there
is garbage in the product they are decoding.
If your -e GEMTBL is correct, you may also need to verify that
the LDM has read access to the files.

Another problem could result if more than 1 decoder were writing to the
file at the same time, for example if things were running so slow that
pqact fired up a second PIPE because the first was full. That should
be evident in the logs by overlapping process ids.

Please provide your pqact.conf file, and your dcgrib.log file
for more information.

Steve Chiswell