20040414: Vietnam and GEMPAK GRIB decoding (cont.)

>From: Mai Nguyen <address@hidden>

Hi Mai,

>Thank you very much for your helps.

No worries.

>1) The '/' problem:
>
>We decided to use '7' to replace '/' since the whole
>band '487**' has not been used by anyone. (there is
>also '482**' available).

After looking at the list of station ID numbers recognized
by the WMO and the list you pointed us to, we also decided
that renaming the 48/nn ID numbers to 487nn was the best
solution.

>2) the station table is 'lsfstns.tbl' in $GEMTBL.
>I've added our station indexes to that file.

Adding your ID numbers to this table is one approach, but
it will require that you remember to modify the table each
time you get a new GEMPAK distribution.  The approach I
was thinking about taking is to add the merging of your
station ID information with all of the entries in lsfstns.tbl
each time the decoding script is run and use the resultant
station table in the decoding of the data.

>3) Now, could you please do another action in your
>script to find '48/..' and replace with '487..'? That
>will completely solve this problems.

I did that yesterday evening.  I will be uploading the script
as soon as I get into work.

>Thank you again and bye for now.

More later.