20030715: SNCROSS2 question

Rich,

I looked at your sounding data file and .nts file.

The time range you have encompasses 180 soundings:
 SNFILE   = soundings_2002_1.out
 DATTIM   = 020630/1434-020704/1819

Each of these soundings has 9 parameters. Looking at your data,
I see that your soundings have around 300 levels (some more, some less).

So, the buffer size that is needed to store the data for the cross section is:
300*9*180 = 486,000.

In the program file $GEMPAK/source/programs/sn/sncross2/sncross2.f
(and $GEMPAK/source/programs/sn/sncross/sncross.f as well), you will
find the buffer size declaration:

        PARAMETER       ( MSDSIZ = 100000 )

This number must be increased to fit your data.
I successfully used:
        PARAMETER       ( MSDSIZ = 600000 )

If you have built your diustribution from source, you can
make this change to your source, and then just rebuild the
executable with:

cd $GEMPAK/source/programs/sn/sncross2
vi sncross2.f   <---- edit the MSDSIZ definition
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

If you are using a binary distribution, let me know what version and platform
and I'll send you an updated copy of sncross2.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support