20030613: 20030611: Calculating Cape from gridded model data?..follow u p

Lewis,

You could calculate a surface height, with varying accuracy.
Assuming Z_1000 would only be reasonable at lower elevations.

The good news is that hght@0%none would be constant, so once
you have it, you can just copy the grid to your data set.
One possibility would be to use the global GFS from NCEP
and interpolate to your grid domain (The 1x1 degree grid
iis available, and you could interpolate it with gdbiint.
Soon, NCEP will be producing the GFS output on the .5x.5 degree (grid #004)
global grid).

The Linux binary distribution for GEMPAK 5.6.J is:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/81/gempak_upc5.6.j_linux.tar.gz

Steve Chiswell