20030503: Unidata binary of nwx core dumps with surface obs

Robert,

The mangling of the string below with the "dm/gempak/surface"
getting tacked on seems to indicate either a string that
is not properly null terminated, or is exceeding the length.
The fact that certain versions usually work is probably
a side affect of optimization in the compiler (less optimization
sometimes keeps variables separated in memory space so that not
crashing is merely fortuitous).

I can look at the code and see if there is a memory problem.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support