20030202: Question about adding a new surface station

Bob,

When dcmetr creates the surface file for the operational
data, the number of stations allowed in the file is
determined by the number of stations in the station table,
plus the number of additional stations to add (the -a
parameter to dcmetr). You can only add your station to the
file if there is room for an additional station to be added.
In dcmetr, when a metar observation is found for a
station that isn't in the station table, the station will be
added (with lat & lon set to -9999) if there is available space,
so you probably don't have any room to add your new station in the
existing file..

Since you have added SNC to your sfmetar_sa.tbk file, the next
time dcmetr creates a new file, the station will be in the file,
so you won't have that problem.

To add your station to the current file that was created before you
added SNC to the station table, and does not have any remaining
room for new stations, create a new surface file with SFCFIL
(using sfmetar_sa.tbl and the packing file metar.pack,and
timstn=72/1000). If SNC is in the sfmetar_sa.tbl, it will be in your
new surface file. The timstn above will allow space for 72 times
(which is the typical dcmetr configuration, and 1000 extra stations).

Then, use SFMOD to move your current surface data file into
the new file, and you can run SFEDIT to add your new SNC data.

Changes to the station table used by dcmetr only take effect when a new
file is created (usually once per day). So, SNC should be in your
regularly created file tomorrow.

Steve Chiswell