20021001: GEMPAK with case studies

Angie and Ben,

Please send all support questions to address@hidden
so that we may answer them as quickly as possible.

I put together an example of using the case study data sets
with GEMPAK:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/coohl/mhonarc/MailArchives/gempak/msg02970.html

In particular, configuring GEMPAK GUIs to find data files generally
involves setting the environmental varibles GEMDATA, SAT, RAD, and
MODEL. When using retrospective data, these variables should point
to the case study directory structure rather than the real-time data.
By using the same directory structure as the real-time data, the configuration
files $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl and $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults
will not have to be modified since their definitions which locate
the data sets are defined in terms of the environmental variables
mentioned above.

The case study web site may have more information.

An example csh start up script for ntl from the example I put together
above is:

#!/bin/csh -f
#
# Instructions:
# Source your $NAWIPS/Gemenviron setup before running this script.
# Run this script from the top of the case19 tree. The GEMDATA
# environmental variable set below will be relative to this location.
#
# Steve Chiswell
# Unidata Program Center
#
# ------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Top of the GEMPAK data tree
setenv GEMDATA ./gemdata_cometcase_019
#
# Location of Satellite image tree
setenv SAT $GEMDATA/images/sat
#
# Locations of model data files
setenv MODEL $GEMDATA/model
setenv HDS $MODEL
#
# Location of RADAR data tree
setenv RAD $GEMDATA/nexrad

#
# set resource directory for Nsharp
if ( -d resource ) then
        set xresources="./resource/%N"
        if ( $?XUSERFILESEARCHPATH ) then
           setenv XUSERFILESEARCHPATH ${xresources}:${XUSERFILESEARCHPATH}
        else
           setenv XUSERFILESEARCHPATH $xresources
        endif
endif

ntl &

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

>From: Ben Domenico <address@hidden>

>Hi all,
>
>I may not have properly forwarded the earlier request for help from Angie
>Lese at Purdue.  I'll send this one to address@hidden as well.
>Sorry if I botched the earlier one and left out the support copy.
>
>If you can respond to her fairly soon, it would be good since she initially
>contacted me some time back.
>
>-- Ben

>>> up (again with no data in it). Do I need to move my file (09apr01)