20020919: Recompile NAGRIB?

>From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>

>Hello,
>
>I am working with some gridded files of radar-estimated precip and trying to
>decode them from grib to gempak format.  When I run NAGRIB on the file, it
>says that the grid is too large.  The documentation for these files says I
>need a re-compile of NAGRIB to expand the
>size of the maximum allowable grid. It is a 4km res grib file with grid
>point dimensions 1121 x 881.  Any assistance on re-compiling NAGRIB to
>support these would be appreciated.  TIA.  I guess I should mention the
>machine is Sun SPARC/Solaris 8 with the gcc/g77 compilers.
>
>Patrick
>_______________________________________
>Patrick O'Reilly
>Meteorological Decision Support Scientist
>The STORM Project - University of Northern Iowa
>address@hidden  ~  ph: 319-273-3789

Patrick,

I send out our GEMPAK distribution with a defined maximum grid size of
400,000 points. Your grid would need close to 1,000,000 points.
The maximum grid size defines the size of arrays used in GEMPAK, and
therefore affects the size of the resulting programs.

To use grids larger than 400,000, you would need to redefine the LLMXGD
parameter in the $GEMPAK/include/gemprm.h and MCHPRM.xxxxx files and
then do a complete rebuild of the package after removing all previously
compiled libraries from $GEMLIB (make distclean will do that).

Have you previously been using a source release of GEMPAK, or a binary
distribution?

Steve Chiswell