20020717: gempak and related ldm setup at stc

Alan,

All the GEMPAK decoders are part of the GEMPAK distribution.
If you download a binary distribution, you will find them
in the $GEMEXE directory. If you build from source, they
will get installed into the $GEMEXE directory along with the
other GEMPAK programs ($GEMEXE being the bin/$NA_OS directory
under the top of the GEMPAK tree).

You can either copy the decoders to the ~ldm/decoders directory
or create links to that directory. The pqact.conf examples I provide
are assuming you will be able to find the decoders in the ~ldm/decoders
directory (for the sake of making things more generic by not having to
edit the path in the pqact.conf entries). For instance, the metar decoder
is invoked from decoders/dcmetr. Pqact will use the relative path
from its $LDMHOME. The output directories in the pqact examples are also
relative to your $LDMHOME. Typically, these will be to directories under
data/gempak.

The one area that you will have to edit from the pqact.conf entries is
the location of the GEMTBL and GEMPAK environmental variables
(lines that have -e GEMTBL=.....path....and -e GEMPAK=.....path....).

As an alternative, I have provided in the GEMPAK 5.6.f distribution
a set of templates in the $NAWIPS/ldm/etc directory which will automatically
create pqact.conf lines based on your $GEMTBL and $GEMPAK environmental variable
settings. To create these, just:
cd $NAWIPS/ldm/etc
(make sure your GEMPAK environmental variables are set through sourcing
the Gemenviron file)
Then run:
gen_pqact.csh

That will produce a pqact.gempak file in that directory that you can edit
and append to your pqact.conf file (or, you can have a separate pqact running
from ldmd.conf just for the pqact.gempak file).

The decoders are only needed on the machine with the LDM....but,
if you nfs mount the distribution to your lab machines, you
don't have to worry since all the decoders will be in the $GEMEXE directory
along with all the other programs.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support