20020614: native METEOSAT/GMS imagery in NSAT/NMAP2/GARP

>From: "Robert Mullenax" <address@hidden>

>Since GEMPAK now supports native METEOSAT/GMS (non-remapped)
>imagery I started trying to view some.  I noticed that GARP takes
>a very very long time to display a full disk native METEOSAT image
>as compared to a full disk METEOSAT which has been remapped to a TANC
>projection, even though the file size of the remapped image
>is about 3.5 times larger?
>
>Also, I can't seem to display anything but remapped imagery
>in NSAT and NMAP2.  Is this just a capability that is not available yet?
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Robert,

NMAP/NSAT/GPMAP all use the gplt routines that I added
for meteosat directly from McIDAS, so they should be able to display
the image just as Garp. Are you changing the source ID when you remap
the image? Possibly the meteosat imager numbers are not in the imgtyp.tbl
file.

Wondering if Garp is just using a different color map.

As for time needed to compute projection, certainly, the TANC done in
the im library only has to be done once, whereas the McIDAS routines for AREA
files will have to do a satellite to earth mapping for each pixel I beleive.

I only had archived Meteosat imagery. Maybe you can send me one that you are
having trouble with.

Steve Chiswell