20020615: GEMPAK Installation Help - Newbie Alert

Corene,

When you source Gemenviron, it will add the $NAWIPS/bin/linuxc and
$NAWIPS/bin/scripts directories to your path (at the end) automatically,
so you don't have to duplicate that step.

Your problem is:
InitGempakColorMap:  Can't allocate Graphic colors.

This probably means that your X display is running in 24 bit mode.
To use GEMPAK, your default X display will have to be 8 bits.
In RH Linux 7.3, the default Xfree86 server has a bug that
eats all available colors, so you will have to CVS checkout and
build the server for 7.3. That shouldn't be a problem with 7.2...
though 7.2 had lots of other bugs.

You can use the search page from the gempak homee page. The Xfree86
for RH 7.3 is discussed at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/5085

When you have configured your display as 8 bits, the one gotcha is
that you can't use GNOME which reserves all colors. Instead, use
KDE, FVWM, TWM etc,

For KDE, you can get the most available colors by setting the toolbar and
window manager icons to gray:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/gifs/linux_kde1.gif

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support