Re: 20020130: Follow-up on color-table issues in garp

Steve,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Unidata Support wrote:

> Art,
>
> We have been able to configure the Linux X server to
> run multiple X displays (vt7/vt8) and hot swap between the
> 2 using the ctrl-alt-F7/F8. This enables you to
> run the full 24 bit environment with gnome etc on one display,
> and set the other for pseudo-color. I have used twm as the simple
> window manager there.
>
> I've cc'd John Stokes on this message, as he was the one that
> configured the machine to run the multiple displays. He should be able
> to describe how the configuration is set up. I'd actually like to
> get a description of this myself to place in the web documents
> for other users as well.

So, does this mean you don't expect support for 16-bit or greater color in
gempak? Has there been any indications from the NWS on whether they do or
do not intend to support this mode?  I'm hoping there will be closure on
this at some point for planning purposes.  Even if the above solution
works, I think it could be a bit awkward to implement for our users either
in fact or in perception.  Many of our students, having grown up in the
Microsoft world, don't understand why they have to use Unix to begin with,
and especially complain about applications that aren't straightforward and
easy to use.  I'm not saying I agree with them altogether, but I think
care must be given to ensure that Unidata applications continue to pass
the ease-of-use test and I'm concerned that garp on Linux may not.

Is there any replacement package being considered for garp/gempak, or is
garp/gempak still considered the application of choice for the next
several years?

                                     Thanks.

                                       Art.