20020430: NIDS products

Anton,

A program like GPMAP is an example of how the data file is read.

In GPMAP, you will find a call to IM_SIMG ($GEMPAK/source/gemlib/im/imsimg.f).

The IM_ library routines read the header of the file, determine what type of
image it is, and store the header information in common block variables
including data offsets, etc.

Later, on the display side, when the image is called to display, the GN driver
routine you mention is invoked to read the image portion of the file.

So, you have 2 parts of GEMPAK. One that reads all the information that
describes the image, navigation, date/time, source/channel etc.
And the second part handles the display of the data block.

The GEMLIB routines that I wrote for reading the header information are
called through im_nexz.c. These common block variables are located in the
$GEMPAK/include/imgdef.cmn and imgdef.h include files.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support