20020418: NWX, and NSHARP

>From: "Robert Mullenax" <address@hidden>

>I have two questions.
>
>1) At NSBF we have a need for this as scientific
>ballooning continues to move towards more long duraton flights,
>such as the ones coming up from Australia later this year.
>The TAFS aren't so much used for operational purposes but for
>the use of researchers who need to know what type of conditions
>the balloon could be expected to fly over.  To give a little
>head start, I wonder if you could outline the basic process
>for doing this?

Process of what? Adding Australian TAF's to NWX?
Just add the FTAU bulletins to those being FILE'd in the
gempak/nwx/aviation/fts directory .fts files and add the
Australian ID's to the $NWX_TABLES/taf.stn file. Or,
create a new category in $NWX_TABLES/guidata.tbl
and add the appropriate table & template information for your
files in $NWX_TABLES/master.tbl.

>2) Just a suggestion, it would be nice if NSHARP had a config file
>for the models list (i.e. so you aren't locked into the thinned grid
>for AVN).  I have been changing $NAWIPS/nprogs/nsharp/source/xwvid6.c
>and recompiling but this is kind of a pain.

I plan on ripping out the old hard coded stuff and use a config file like
NMAP that finds the templates and available model runs.  That whole
Sharp95 configuration file, including data directories etc. can be replaced
by the general GEMPAK tables information. The original design was a port of
SHARP, but I think it makes since to integrate all the GEMPAK configurations.

>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax

Steve Chiswell