20020403: GEMPAK and NCEP-NCAR Reanalysis data, GEMPAK workshop

Rezaul,

We expect to hold the GEMPAK workshop from July 29-31 this year, but have
not finalized plans as of yet. When we are ready to announce the dates
for the workshops, we will make an e-mail announcement to the gembud email
list, as well as post the information on our we pages. I suspect that
this will be in the beginning of May.

GEMPAK can be used to analyse the reanalysis grids either from
GRIB or NetCDF files. However, there are some reanalysis grids
that are provided on Gaussian grids. GEMPAK cannot handle those
grids. GEMPAK requires that the grids have a constant spacing
in the X and Y directions, while the Gaussian grid rows vary in
spacing with latitude.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support