20020213: 20020212: reading/writing McIDAS area files for use in GEMPAK

David,

I looked at your gif inages in the testimages directory below.
Can you also put a sample of your AREA file with the poked
values in that directory so that I can look at the map drawing?

I did some playing around with the existing projections that
already exist in GEMPAK. I believe the Orthographic projection
accomplishes what you originally described.

For example, I created a globe-like plot using the following in GPMAP:
 GAREA    = 0;-135;0;-135
 PROJ     = ort/35;-135;0
 LATLON   = 6/1/1/1;1/20;20/10;-135

The latlon drawing is a little sensitive (eg buggy) when the longitude
drawn on the back side of the earth is 180 degrees oposite the
central longitude - so I picked the longitude increment of 20 (instead of 15)
to avoid that problem.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support