20020204: Gempak error msgs

>From: Eric Nelson <address@hidden>

>Hello,
>
>We've recently gotten Gempak installed on our system.  We are starting
>from scratch since noone here has any previous experience with
>it.  Anyway, I've run into an error message I don't know what to do with
>and could use some hints on getting things up to a working status.
>
>climate:~> ntl
>Resource File:  /home/gempak/gempak-5.6.d.1/resource/Ntop
>graphic, satellite, radar -- 33 95 20
>        Request total # of colors = 148
>X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
>operation)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  86 (X_AllocColorCells)
>  Value in failed request:  0x0
>  Serial number of failed request:  617
>  Current serial number in output stream:  617
>
>Thanks,
>-Eric

>Eric Nelson                        College of Dupage Meteorology Dept.
>NWP WXP Graphics/Forecaster              http://weather.cod.edu/
>Lab:(630) 942-2590                      address@hidden
>Desk:(630) 942-2188                     address@hidden
>
>"I love deadlines.  I especially like the whooshing sound they make as
>they go flying by."     --Douglas Adams

Eric,

You need to ensure that your default X display is 8 bits before
launching ntl.

Use the xdpyinfo command to verify your X display.
It most likely is currently set at 24 bits. The default display must be 8 bits.

You didn't mention what OS you are running, so it is hard to give specifics.
If you are running Linux, then use KDE instead of GNOM- or
set up a second X server and run GEMPAK on the second display
set up as 8 bit. TWM, FVWM or KDE all work. Gnome grabs all
the abailable colors and makes them read-only so that isn't a
good option.

Under KDE, you can configure the desktop to use fewer colors
(especially for icons) See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/gifs/linux_kde1.gif
You can also launch ntl to request fewer colors using the -s option as
described in the GEMPAK tutorial and support archives.

Steve Chiswell