20020131: dcgrib2 packing

Clint,

Dcgrib2 uses grib packing. For eta211, where no stitching
together of grids and/or thickening/flipping is needed,
the GRIB BDS section is just written to the GEMPAK file without
any modification and the header information is updated. The number of bits
used will be dependent on each parameter as specified in the grib
product, rather than one value for the entire data set.

Your problem with GDMOD is that the grid is unpacked when read
in, then repacked when written out. So, for grids using less than
16 bits, they will then be larger.

I don't see anyway to move a grid n GDMOD without unpacking.

Steve Chiswell