20020124: 20011210: GEMPAK: mismatched BR and MIFG symbols?

Christian,

The explanation I received:

>Some info...
>I have determined that 3-bar fog is for when the sky is obscured by the
>fog. It is from the time when people actually took the obs, not
>machines. 2-bar fog is for when the fog is all around horizontally, but
>not above the observer. It really has nothing to do with visibility.
>Also, from what I have found, there was no way to generate 3-bar fog in
>an SA report nor in a METAR report. The only way to get 3-bars in from
>the Synoptic coding where a distinction is made between 2-bar and 3-bar
>by WMO code number.

The 3 bar fog mentioned is what you refer to as WMO #45.

From the metar quick reference card, I find that BR has visibility
>= 5/8 SM, and FG is < 5/8 SM. But, the WMO table differences
you refer to are for differences in vertical, not horizontal.

I differ from NCEP's interpretation in that I read code table 4677
symbol 44 represents sky visible, and 45 represents sky obscured.
Since the observation included BKN001, I would assume #44 is
in order and not #45. This will take code development to
take into account sky coverage observations.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support