20020125: 20020122: GEMPAK - problem with run script from crontab

>From: Marijana Crepulja <address@hidden>

>    Dear Steve,
>   I will run a script for crontab. When I use DEVICE =gf|, I have a
>problem with invalid set DISPLAY. I use DEVICE = gf|, because I wish
>that the background of my image will be white.
>  When I use DEVICE =gif|, I can run the script for crontab, but I get
>an image with black background.
>  When I run "gpcolor" and I use DEVICE = gif|, my script stopped.
>  How can I resolve my problem? I want to run the script from crontab so
>that the background color on my image will be white.
>
>                                  Thanks for any help.
>                                          Marijana Crepulja

Marijana,

To use the "DEVICE=gif" driver and create a white background,
copy the $GEMTBL/colors/coltbl.xwp color table to the
working directory where your script is running and change the
first color entry in the file from:
BLACK           BLA      0      0      0  black
WHITE           WHI    255    255    255  white

The driver will first check for a coltbl.xwp in your current working
directory, and then look for the one in $GEMTBL/colors.
So, you can change the background color for a particular script by placing
coltbl.xwp file in the working directory. You can change the default behavior
system wide by modifying the $GEMTBL/colors/coltbl.xwp file.

Or, to use the DEVICE=gf driver from cron, you need to have an
accessible X server. Once solution is to run Xvfb on screen :1

Steve Chiswell