20010104: LINUX GARP Not "Seeing" Isentropic Surfaces

Bob,

I believe that this is a known feature of Garp's design rather than a bug
per se....I'm assuming you can talk to Steve Drake and/or Jim Cowie
(now at RAP) as to whether this is the case.

Garp speeds things up by not opening every grid file and
searching through for the levels/coordinates. Rather, it assumes that the
levels/coordinates in the first are repesentative of what will be in that models
files. If the use is creating additional levels/coordinates to some
files, then that really isn't representative of the output.
It actually slows things down a lot (especially for hourly ruc files)
to open and read every file that matches the model key.

You have a choice. If the user is creating certain levels/fields,
do it to a different file, not the NCEP fields. That way, there is
no confusion later about where the data came from....eg, its not
from the ETA run, but from a gdvint interpolation. Add the
other file name model keys to the Garp_defaults.

Let me know if I'm not interpreting your question correctly.

Steve