20020103: 20020102: updating radar scripts for gdr

Neil,

Yes, the DEVICE=gif will avert the need for an X server.
See the "phelp device" section for the quick description.

The quick what's new in 5.6 web page is found under:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.6/whats_new.html#DEVICE

and the devices page in the tutorial:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/devices.html

Steve CHiswell