20011218: Computing wind shear

Matt,

The station elevation can be obtained with the STNDEX parameter "SELV".
SELV is also output in the station information at the top of the output
along with station lat/lon and time.

The surface should be the first level of the sounding output. The hght of that
levels will be the height of the station.

The SHRM parameter will be the value in each layer of the sounding. That is,
the value is calculated using each successive level of the sounding. To
only get the the 1091km level, you would use: levels = 1091. However, the
value of SHRM that would be output would be the shear in the layer in which
the 1091 meter level occurs. It would not be the mean from surface to that
layer.
There is no function that would give you the mean of shear in a specified
layer.
The STNDEX functions allow the user to specify the layer depth and surface using
the "!" characters. However, SHRM is a level parameter, not a STNDEX function.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support