20011105: Sort of related . . .

Stonie,

GEMPAK/N-AWIPS development continues to occur at NCEP,
so that is the avenue that I obtain new releases.

The note you refer to from our policy committee was drafted
in support of our community use of GEMPAK which continues to be
an important display and analysis tool for our users. In particular,
many of our users would continue to rely on GEMPAK even if development
at NCEP had ceased. If that were to happen, we would want to ensure that
our users could continue to obtain GEMPAK so long as it was useful
(eg, we would not want to lose that right).

Since NMAP is going to continue to be used to produce products
at the National Centers within the AWIPS framework, additional
development should occur as well.

As for the Redbook graphics, their use existed before NMAP was
able to create the product. NMAP is used to create certain of the products
that we see now. Some (such as TPC products) are not created by NMAP.
The driving factor there was to move away from the intergraph system which
produced many products on DIFAX (which is becoming obsolete).

I have had limited success with certain aspects of the FCM-S2-1994
documentation. In particular, I get to some "internal" map
specifications which are not documented. According to
the web page: http://205.156.54.206/software/index.html
Redbook decoding software will be under the auspices of NCEP, but
no further information tyhat I see.

I do not know of a VGF interface control document.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support