20011019: gempak ltg gridding

Brian,

At this point in time, there is nothing within GEMPAK
to make this type of computation as you require.

I would be possible to write a program to accumulate the number
of strikes within a given radius of a grid point.

The other limitation you would have is that a 3km grid is going
to be a very large grid if you are attempting to cover the
entire country with a single grid. At present time, the default
maximum number of grid points in a file is 400,000.
A 4km national grid is approximately 1,200,000 points.

If you are doing a regional (or series of regional) grids
then that won't be a problem.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support