20011019: interpolated fsltogem

Diana,

The updated fsltogem fixed the problem with the input data where additional
wind levels without temperature and dewpoint were truncaating the
stability calculations.

I verified this on the previous data  time you sent me.

CAPE values will be zero if there is no positive area in the sounding.
A quick sanity check would be to look at the "LIFT" value.
If LIFT is negative, then you must have a non-zero (positive)
CAPE value. CAPE is a quantity that is computed from the integrated
area of the sounding where a lifted parcel would be warmer than the
environment. That is, CAPE values are only 0 or positive.

If you have a time/station where you suspect that you should be seeing
non-zero CAPE, please do send the input data to me and I will
see if there is any lingering problem.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

>From: <address@hidden>

>Note:  this message is intended for Steve Chiswell
>

>Hi Steve,
>   Remember me?  Sorry to contact you about the Gempak program again.  I've ha
>a long hiatus in my research due to a cross-country move this summer.  Do you
>   remember the revised fsltogem program that you posted on your ftp site, one
>   that interpolated missing values in the sounding data?  This was designed t
>correct the large number of zero values calculated for the CAPE and Bulk
>Richarson Number by STNDEX.  To make a long story short, I've closely checked
>some of the new results (I only ran it for a few stations), and each value is
>   exactly the same as my previous results.  Primarily zeroes.  Just wondering
>if you have any idea why, or if I should upload the updated fsltogem so you ca
>look it over.
>     I'm starting to wonder if the CAPE is supposed to be zero, except on days
>   of strong convection, b/c I certainly see a lot of high values during the
>spring and summer months, and at stations like Key West, FL.
>
>Thanks for your time,
Diana DeRubertis