20010730: gempak error

>From: Wayne Bresky <address@hidden>

>Tom,
>
>I resorted to a binary installation of Gempak on my RH 7.1 machine and  unpack
> ed
>the files in the ~gempak/gempak5.6 directory.  I tried running the ntl command
>but I
>get the following error:
>
>X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
>operation)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  86 (X_AllocColorCells)
>  Value in failed request:  0x0
>  Serial number of failed request:  330
>  Current serial number in output stream:  330
>
>Do you have any idea what would be causing this?
>
>Wayne

Wayne,

Youe must be running an 8 bit default depth X server (linuxconfig), and use
KDE as the window manager. Gnome will eat all 256 colors right off.
Under KDE, you can configure the desktop to use fewer colors (especially
for icons) See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/gifs/linux_kde1.gif

You can also launch ntl to request fewer colkors using the -s option as
described in the GEMPAK tutorial and support archives.

Steve Chiswell