Work around to the 'not enough colors' problem with ntl/garp running on linux

Chiz,
        I don't know if anyone has come up with this yet, but I've come up
with a work around for the 'not enough colors' problem and am able to have
a 24 bit display and a 8 bit display.  Redhat Linux supports 2 separate X
server processes.  I've set my default (:0) server to 24 bit and set the
secondary to 8 bit (:1).  What I did, was run X :1 -depth 8, fire up a
xterminal on that screen, and a window manager (twm).  Linux supports
toggling between them via the ctrl-alt-F7 and F8 keys.  I run ntl -s 140
on the :1 screen and just toggle back and forth.  It works well. You need
quite a bit of memory though (I'm running 512MB) but that is no big deal
on a PC.  The hardware is a 1.33GHz Athlon and a Geforce2 video card.
This Athlon is incredibly fast running garp, by the way.  Steve Mullen and
I plan on getting all Linux machines to replace our xterminals in the near
future.

Mike

--
Mike Leuthold
Atmospheric Sciences/Institute of Atmospheric Physics