20010627: More NEXRAD products on NOAAPORT

>From: Harry Edmon <address@hidden>

>Given the delays in the NOAAPORT NEXRAD distribution, has anyone thought of
>having a central site ftp the NOAAPORT data aod injest it into the IDD?
>
>Also, I notice that the data on the FTP server is NOT compressed, so is yet
>another decoder is necessary?   Or can Gempak and McIDAS handle these files as
>is?
>

>--
>Dr. Harry Edmon                        E-MAIL: address@hidden
>206-543-0547                           address@hidden
>Dept of Atmospheric Sciences   FAX:    206-543-0308
>University of Washington, Box 351640, Seattle, WA 98195-1640

GEMPAK can display each of the forms of the NEXRAD data directory
without any decoders.  These include:

1) WSI products which do not have the WMO header
2) FTP'd products which are uncompressed, but have a WMO header
3) NOAAPORT products which are compressed and have the WMO header.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support